Friday, April 12, 2013

Operation Crib


Some days you feel like a great parent - everything goes smoothly.  
Other days you feel like an absolute failure - nothing works, they're fussy, they don't sleep and you start to wonder what you're doing wrong.  

On a lot of levels I feel like a great parent.  The trio has gained weight appropriately, continues to meet developmental milestones, is eating foods - all the things the pediatrician looks for.  I feel very confident when hours go by with no tears and I get to see smiles, hear coos and play.  Then something hits you like a ton of bricks.

This week we realized our time with swings, rock n plays and our now family bed was running out - they are getting so big!  We decided it was time to transition to the crib for bedtime.  Let me say, these last nights of sleep have left me red eyed and irritable! 

They're overtired, fussy, getting teeth and I feel overwhelmed and defeated.  
Should I give them "tough love" and let them work it out?  Should I rub their backs and help sooth them?  Should we separate their cribs into different rooms?  Are they not ready?!  Should we let them stay in the swings and in our bed until they are absolutely too big?  So many questions and I don't know what the "right answer" is or if there is a different answer for each baby.  

For now I'm going to enjoy my large McDonalds coke and hope that tonight is better - I'm going to stay strong and hope that their behavior will answer my questions.  Even though 4 nights has seemed like an eternity I am going to continue operation crib and check back next Friday!  

1 comment:

  1. I can totally relate and I'm not even quite there yet. I don't see a light at the end of the tunnel as far as switching these babies to their cribs. Their cribs are also in the same room and I wonder if that's the right choice. Every time I try to get them to just nap in their crib, they hate it. Absolutely hate it. Madilynn has slept in her crib once and for about 15 mins. Thank goodness their rock and plays work for now as far as sleeping during the night but daytime naps they are either being held or in their swings... I also don't know when this ends and if I'm doing the right thing... they are 4 months... I'm worried that they will never sleep anywhere else and that they will get too big to fit!

    I also can relate to feeling like a failure and feeling defeated. But just know that I showed my hubby your blog and told him that seeing the things YOU do with your kiddos make ME feel like a bad mom. You're pretty amazing.

    ReplyDelete