Saturday, April 27, 2013

A Garden for Ms. Gardner

When I taught Kindergarten we grew grass in little plastic cups.  That is the extent of my planting experience and knowledge.  

This year I decided to try and grow a few vegetables - tomatoes, green beans, sweet peas, peppers, cucumbers, carrots and a pumpkin or two.

I really had no expectations but figured it was worth a shot.  To my surprise everything has taken (so far)!  At first I planned to just put them in pots - it seemed much easier.  Now, though, I am dedicating a portion of our yard to an actual garden - little fence, plants - the real deal.  It will take some elbow grease but I'm hoping for a good outcome.  

Why now?  There are a few reasons for this new activity - baby food, a hobby & making my own tomato sauce.  I would love to make my baby food not only from fresh produce but from MY produce!  Since I'm not teaching anymore I really have no hobbies that aren't baby related so maybe I'll fall in love with this, you never know.  This has also given me a new avenue for recipes as I've been researching new things I can make with these particular veggies (I'm mostly looking forward to Asian Beef with Sweet Peas).  

For now, it's one day at a time and hoping the seeds yield something tasty! :)

(When I taught I was "Ms. Gardner."  When we were growing grass we had a planting center with seeds, dirt, water and journals for writing down what we grew.  One of my students drew a flower garden and titled it - in her writing - "a grdn fr ms. gardner")

No comments:

Post a Comment