Thursday, March 28, 2013

Banana Rice Cereal - YUMMY

In my recent "food research" I've read a lot about the dangers of rice cereal and baby food - true or not I'm not willing to risk it! 

One of the main things I came across (and again my words are based on MY findings - see below for a list of ingredients) was the use of GM ingredients & the fact that these ingredients are approved by the FDA and do not require GM labeling.  Since the trio is teeny I definitely want to maximize every possible calorie and ensure what they are consuming is as healthy as possible.  

So, instead of buying pre-made rice and cereal I have started making my own.   At Target a pre-made box of rice/cereal/food runs from $1.00 (pre-made fruits/veggies) to $3.50 (cereal/oatmeal).  This recipe costs less than $2.00 and will yield anywhere between 20-50% MORE food (depending on how much you make at a time and the amount of waste).  This recipe yields enough rice cereal for an entire day for all 3 babies: 

*1 cup water (boil)  *1/4 cup brown rice (add brown rice to the boiling water and stir constantly 5-10min)
*1/2 banana (puree)  *breast milk or formula to consistency 

RESULT: love. The babies love it.  It's easy to make, healthy & smells much better than processed food, too! :)  

(GM Ingredients found is some baby cereals, rice, oatmeal, fruits and veggies: soy lecithin (the 5th ingredient), plant proteins, maltodetrin, soy, corn, potatoes, canola oil, corn syrup) 

3 comments:

  1. I made all my own baby food and loved it. So much cheaper and healthier. I never even thought to make the cereal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you have any favorites??
      We aren't eating solids just yet but I have the Baby Bullet in preparation. Any suggestions?

      Delete
  2. I will be saving this recipe for when my babies start rice cereal!

    ReplyDelete