Tuesday, March 26, 2013

13 lbs. in 40 days

My husband won't gloat about his recent weight loss so I will for him!  In less than 2 months he's lost 13 lbs. and not from any kind of diet or exercise (we definitely don't have time for that!)  So how did he loose 13 lbs?  

Eating right.

I've been doing significant research on food  - what we're putting in our body from restaurants and grocery stores.  I have to admit what I've found is seriously frightening!  Some people agree, some disagree, some think it is crazy but I've decided to make a lot of dietary and food changes for us now so that once the trio is older I am already accustom to cooking and shopping the "right away."  

There are a lot of things I would like to ideally change but some of them are just not realistic for us.  The first thing I did, for Andy, was figure out his BMI and how much he SHOULD be consuming each day (a lot less than you'd think).  He started measuring his breakfast (Kelloggs makes an awesome cereal/oatmeal scoop for this) & I made his lunch.  Since then we have scaled back the lunch items and he has noticed he isn't hungry as often.  We eat all of our dinners on salad sized plates - the REAL portion sizes and have sides that fill us but aren't unhealthy - fruits and veggies and homemade bread.  I believe the portion sizing and eliminating snacks is the true reason for the weight loss but there are a few other things we've changed: 

I don't use oil for cooking.  I've eliminated all dyes and foods with dyes from our pantry.  We have eliminated all premade, processed foods including but not limited to: chips, frozen pizza, packaged cookies, premade cake mixes and all other mixes, mac-n-cheese, frozen fries/veggies ... the list goes on!  Thanks to Pinterest I've learned how to cook great tasting alternatives for a fraction of the cost.  We're realistic about this lifestyle change - we won't be able to eliminate everything and our kids will be exposed to foods with dyes and chemicals throughout their life but we wanted to make a change for the better - better health, better money use, better life overall.  

(So far 13 lbs - the goal?  20 lbs.  He is well on his way which isn't easy when you work in a restaurant!) 

1 comment: