Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Always Ready

Are you prepared for a disaster?!
Winter Bins - Lucas & Owen
Let's be honest, the answer is no.  No matter how much you plan, organize or pack you can never be prepared enough.  What you can do is eliminate some of the stressors.  During my pregnancy I spent A LOT of time (6 months to be exact) laying on the couch watching TV.  Mixed in with crazy dance moms, emotionally unstable wedding dress hunters, teen moms and the ex-amish I found "doomsday preppers."  I don't believe in their extremes but I did learn a few things about what we NEED if disaster strikes!  

2 weeks after the trio came home WI started the winter worry about a "blizzard."  If memory serves me this so called blizzard ended up a dusting but regardless I packed up 2 bins of things we would need.  A week ago I packed up the same bins for summer in case of a power outage or tornado.  

Our plan: If I am home alone with the kids I will pack the bins and kids and drive 8 blocks to my parents, assuming the weather allows travel.  If Andy and I are both home we would have to make the decision to either stay or go.  If we stay our basement has rock n plays and play mats.  Our survival bins have: WATER, baby formula, bottles, baby food, baby tylenol and gas drops, diapers, wipes, baby clothes (extra clothes, socks, things to keep warm), blankets, hats/mittens, snow plants, lighters, candles, baby toys, books, an extra phone charger, extra batteries and a flashlight.  I would say this is a very basic list - we have never accounted for long periods of time or food for Andy and I and after reading this list realize we have no medical supplies but like I said, it's a start.  

Does luck favor the prepared?  Maybe but luck isn't something we control.  Our readiness is.  I hope we never have to use these bins.  It saddens me the continued disasters across the globe, the loss of lives and homes, the fear within us and the unknown.  Being prepared is my way to keeping the fear at bay.  
xo, Bridget

No comments:

Post a Comment